Thursday, June 11, 2009

Atlanta Motor Speedway - Thunder Thursdays

I'm not what you'd call a NASCAR fan, though I have been to Talladega! Before I went, a man in our church who's a huge NASCAR fan told my father-in-law, "Oh, she is going to see things . . . things she's never seen before!". And he was right! But that's another story.

I've heard that the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton is family-friendly and a fun place to watch a race. Starting in the beginning of June, they have a weekly series on Thursday nights called "Thursday Thunder." It's short track racing, meaning that the races are a quarter-mile. Each week of "Thursday Thunder" has fun events in addition to the racing. This week (6/11) there will be an antique and vintage car show, autograph session, and a kids' candy and coin scramble in the infield. Some of the activities change from week to week. One that caught my attention is the "Faster Pastor" race, where local pastors compete to win the speed title. (To my Northern readers: no, I'm not kidding.)

It's a pretty cheap night and worth checking out. Tickets are $5 for adults and $1 for children 6-11 (ages 5 and under are free) for each evening. Gates open at 6 p.m., heat races start at 6:15 p.m. and feature races start at approximately 7:50 p.m. The ticket office number is 770-946-4211.

No comments:

Post a Comment